Rosewood Furniture™ the art & craft manufacturers & exporters


You are here : Home > Craftsmen > Glossary


» Bachelor's Chest - small scale chest with drawers or doors.
» Bail - reverse arch handle or drawer pull hanging downward from pins attached to a backplane.
» Bamboo Turning - a wood turning to simulate natural bamboo that originated during the 18th Century.
» Beading - classic ornamentation using small, half-round molding.
» Bentwood - wood softened by steam for bending into curved shapes.
» Bergére - a French armchair with closed upholstered sides and back.
» Bombé - a surface that swells outward; typical of French chests and commodes of Louis XV.
» BouIle - a French cabinetmaker who developed a special inlay technique called Boulle Work, utilizing tortoise shell,
   silver, brass or pewter. A sheet of metal and a sheet of tortoise were glued together, and a design was cut out of
   both at the same time. The cut-out piece of one material was then reinserted into a corresponding opening in the
   other material.
» Bracket Foot - right angled foot, with each inner end curved.
» Buffet - French term that refers to a sideboard for china, silver, linens, with a top surface used as serving counter.
» Bunching - Furniture pieces that fit flush with each other to create unified wall arrangements.
» Bun Foot - a foot that resembles a slightly flattened ball.
» Bureau - low chest of drawers usually for a bedroom, often with a mirror, originally a desk or table with drawers.
» Burl - beautiful mottled veneer, produced by slicing cross-sections of abnormal tree growths.
» Deck - the surface directly under the cushions of an upholstered chair or sofa.
» Director's Chair - named for its long use by Hollywood directors, a folding armchair with sling seat and back.
» Distressing - a treatment sometimes called antiquing, designed to make new woods look old by means of markings.
» Drape - the way a fabric hangs; this influences its ability to shape well, particularly in an upholstery skirt.
» Drawer Guide - strip of wood, plastic or metal under a drawer that serves as a guiding track for opening & closing.
» Dresser - from the French term, dressoir, originally a table used to dress meats that evolved into a cupboard for
   utensils and dishes. in the United States, the word describes a chest of drawers with a mirror.
» Dry Sink - a low, Early American two-door cupboard with a sink or with an open top lined with zinc or copper.
» Figure - the pattern or design in wood created by the growth of the tree; abnormal growths produce unusual
» Finial - terminal decoration used on upright posts, often of metal.
» Flitch - any part of the log which is sliced into veneer.
» Fluting - parallel channels, usually cut vertically; used for columns and legs.
» Hand - the way a fabric feels, refers to its resilience, drapability and flexibility.
» Hardwood - a general term for wood from broadleafed trees.
» Highboy - very high chest of drawers, taking its name from "haut bois" meaning "high wood" in French.
» Ladder Back - back posts joined by horizontal cross-rails in ladder effect. Also called Slat Back.
» Laminate - the process of bonding or gluing together layers; the final product may also be referred to as a laminate.
» Linenfold - a carved motif that looks like a scroll of linen.
» Low Relief - a form of decoration in which the design is only slightly raised from the surface.
» Natural Fibers - all fibers that occur in fiber form in nature.
» Nesting Tables - set of occasional tables, in graduating sizes so that one slides under another.
» Patina - soft, mellow color and texture of a wood surface resulting from age, wear or rubbing.
» Pedestal Table - top supported by one or more heavy, wide-based columns.
» Pie Crust Table - a small table with carved or molded scalloped edges.
» Pile - a fabric with a surface of upright ends, cut or looped, like velvet.
» Rosewood - cross-grains solid wood is known as Rosewood.
» Scroll - spiral-shaped ornamentation.
» Secretary - combination slant front desk and bookcase.
» Serpentine Front - chest, dresser, etc., with undulating front surfaces.
» Settee - the forerunner of today's sofa, a long seat with side arms and back, sometimes upholstered.
» Slub - a thick, uneven nub in yarn for a textured effect.
» Sofa Table - a long table as tall as the sofa to place behind it.
» Softwood - a general term for the wood of trees that remain green all year.
» Spade Foot - rectangular, tapered Foot separated from the rest of the leg by a slight projection.
» Stacking Furniture - pieces designed so they work together and can be super-imposed on each other for unified
   wall systems.
» Stretcher - crosspiece connecting and bracing legs of tables, chairs, chests, etc.
» Strié - a streaked or striped effect produced with yarns of varying tones.
» Synthetic Fibers - manufactured fibers resulting from chemical synthesis.
» Welt - a strip of fabric, resembling a cord, sewn between two pieces of upholstery fabric to give a more finished
   appearance to the seam; usually made by covering a cord with a tube of fabric.
» Windsor Chair - a country-style chair with a solid, shaped seat connected to the legs and chair back with round or
   flat shaped spindles.


Copyright © 2006 - 2007 Rosewood Furniture™